anvil-dev team mailing list archive

Re: smithy bootstrap of pip dependencies appear broken for 'clean' installs

So the euid check is being done in python code also, wouldn't hurt to move
it out of the smithy script since it will fail later in anvils "main
program".

Usage I think can come out if we do that without root being needed. See if
u comment out the euid check in the bash script, think it will work
correctly already :-)

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Daniel Mercer <dmercer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2012, at 5:57 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> 4. This might get more involved, alot of anvils need for sudo is all the
> pkg stuff it does, all the files it adjusts, all the 'python setup.py
> --develop' and so on, the initial bootstrap is just like phase 0 of these
> kinds of commands. I'm sure there are ways around it (ie the user entering
> the sudo user all the time) just thinking that they may have to enter the
> sudo user so much we might as well start them off in the sudo user (as it
> does right now, where it starts as sudo then drops back down to the user
> running and re-elevates priviligies as needed). Thoughts?
>

> Good points. Maybe a simpler first step would be to allow smithy to emit
> usage without running as root. This would mean moving or duplicating the
> euid check into the python code and certainly isn't at the top of the list
> of things to do.
>
> Everything is always up for consideration, no code is written in stone :-P
> Write a blueprint if u want, or not, get your org. to give u CLA rights or
> whatever, haha.
>

> I'll hopefully hear something this week -- fingers crossed! ;-)
>
> dlm

*Joshua Harlow (mR.aWesOmo)*
facebook.com/jshharlow <http://www.facebook.com/jshharlow>
flickr.com/jshharlow