apport-hackers team mailing list archive

[Merge] lp:~ev/apport/automatic-reporting into lp:apport

The proposal to merge lp:~ev/apport/automatic-reporting into lp:apport has been updated.

Description changed to:

This branch creates a thin frontend for automatic error reporting, as requested by a few engineers (apw, infinity, etc) and needed for both Mobile and Server (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server/2013-June/006626.html).

It returns the negative or empty response to any questions asked by client-side hooks, as the user will not be able to review these.

I added support to apport-collect, with the intention to patch update-notifier to point at /usr/bin/apport-collect instead of /usr/share/apport/apport-gtk. This would allow us to select the automatic error reporting frontend without pulling in GTK libraries as we would in an approach that checked packaging.enabled() from within apport-gtk.

Definitely open to suggestion on this one.

If you approve, I'll follow up with a branch of activity-log-manager that sets automatic=1 in /etc/default/apport when the appropriate box is ticked:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ErrorTracker#Privacy_settings

As the wiki page suggests, we can follow this up with finer-grained control at the ~/ level for automatic submission and the server to send to (see "Developer settings" under Privacy Settings).

For more details, see:
https://code.launchpad.net/~ev/apport/automatic-reporting/+merge/173553
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~ev/apport/automatic-reporting/+merge/173553
Your team Apport upstream developers is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~ev/apport/automatic-reporting into lp:apport.