arsenal-user team mailing list archive

Re: package to team mapping

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:35:48AM -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> I was wondering if it makes sense to include the
> cached-lp-resources.json file in the bzr branch of arsenal rather than
> having it created by multiple people on multiple systems.  They all
> should have the same contents correct?

In general, where possible I'd like us to move away from storing
volatile data in the codebase.  My rationale is that then we have to
remember to update it as things change, and then we have to update
everyone's scripts (risking breakage).

(Admittedly we already have quite a bit of data like that in the tree,
but my goal is to factor it out.)

In general, volatile data should be retrieved from Launchpad or other
locations, and then cached to a centralized location with periodic cache
updates.

So, instead of putting cached-lp-resources.json into bzr, define a good
central place on cranberry for shared cache files, and set up a cron job
under a team account to do the updating.  Then all scripts that are
utilizing that cache should be changed to use the shared one, and stop
doing their own updates.

Bryce