asus-n61-series team mailing list archive

Re: Current status

(ccing to asus-n61-series@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Hi,

I recently asked at the Ubuntu forums about compatibility issues with
the Asus N61 laptop. Albert kindly referred me to this mailing list.
First of all, let me thank all of you for taking on the task to make
Linux systems feel home on that notebook.

In fact, I've not yet bought the notebook but I'm very interested in it
because -- according to my first, and as I must say, unprofessional
impression -- it seems to have a fair chance to work well with Linux
(NVidia graphics usually work with the proprietary drivers, and WLAN by
Intel is supposed to be okay as well). Since I won't keep the
preinstalled Windows, compatibility with Linux is a priority for me.
Once I have this laptop in my hands, I would directly try to install
Ubuntu 10.04 (and replace Windows once and for all).

That's why I'm very interested in the experience you've had with the
notebook and Linux. I would very much appreciate general comments as
well as detailed remarks. My first questions are (you don't need to
answer them all, I'm happy with every reply):

What could directly work out of the box?

Is there a working proprietary NVidia driver, will there be one soon?
Would Ubuntu automatically find it or would I need to install it
manually? In either case: Does the driver survive kernel updates or
would I have to reinstall it every time? Is it better for now to just
use the Intel graphics? Is Linux / Ubuntu confused with the two cards?

What's with WLAN? Does it work directly? Is USB 3.0 causing weird
problems (if so, are they easy to solve)?

I'm of course also very curious whether you would purchase the same
model again (o: ... (if not: why?)

Thank you

palmira