From: "Joel VanderWerf" [joelvanderwerf@xxxxxxxxx]
Date: 01/18/2010 04:00 PM
To: asus-ul30@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Asus-ul30] effect of suspend on power consumption

Hi, I've got an annoying (but not critical) power management problem
on my ul80vt (karmic).

Powertop normally reports about about 7.8W - 8.2W. This is after
applying all the relevant laptop-mode settings, and with wifi on, and
with screen at 0x60 brightness. I've also applied the asus-nvidia
module to turn off the gpu. And I've installed
'linux-backports-modules-karmic' as suggested to fix wifi drop-outs.

After going into suspend (or hibernate) and coming back, powertop
reports 9.0W - 9.4W. Battery life is about an hour less than before
suspending, so I'd like to fix this problem.

I've tried to find out what is different between these two states.
Here are some observations:

1. After rebooting, we go back to the 7.8W state.

2. suspend and hibernate seem to have the same effect: we go into the
9.0W state after coming back.

3. after coming back from suspend, the wifi light in front of the
trackpad is not lit, even though wifi is working.

4. Going to single user mode (telinit 1) doesn't reverse the effect
(or have much effect on power consumption anyway).

5. lspci output is identical in both states.

6. lsmod output is identical in both states.

7. ps -Af output is essentially identical in both states.

8. powertop output in both states shows about the same number of
interrupts from the same processes, and the same %time in each of the
C- and P-states.

9. logging off and logging on doesn't change the situation. If it was
in the 9.0W state, it stays there until reboot.

10. 'service laptop-mode restart' doesn't change the situation.

11. There is no similar situation on eee901 (karmic).

Anyone else see the same effect of suspend on power consumption?