asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

Re: battery life in linux for vt models

I have the UL30VT-A1.

Battery design limit is 84 Wh. Mine currently reports about 79 Wh at full, or capacity of 94%.

Some notes on my configuration:

- Ubuntu 9.10, with 2.6.33 kernel from ubuntu ppa. I find this obviates the need for the
  backports wireless driver.
- I load nvidia_g210m_acpi (with my changes to fix suspend/resume behaviour) on boot (rc.local)
   Since nvidia doesn't work yet, I never run with it enabled.
- I blacklist the modules for the webcam and bluetooth (to save a little power). - I tend to run with screen brightness low most times (20%), occassionally I'll boost to 50 or 60%
   if sunlight is an issue.

I run powertop most of the time. I have seen usage values as low as 5.7 watts (screen on 10%, and wifi off). In my usual mode (screen 20 or 30%, wifi on), powertop (also history in gnome-power-manager) reports maybe 6.5-8W while just typing or light web-surfing. Given the battery total of 79Wh, that suggests about 12hrs max. Of course, doing any serious work (compile, etc.) will drive usage up as high as 15W, which means 5hrs. I'd say around 7-8hrs per charge is realistic, although that's just a guess. The gnome-power-manager seems kind of useless at compensating for time spend in suspend, and I never work more than a few hours without suspending, so it's not easy to pinpoint the precise hours of use on any given current charge.

I have noticed one very suspicious thing with ACPI power usage and powertop. I have never ever to my recollection seen powertop report more than 10 hours of life. I strongly suspect the ACPI code has a limit coded, so that it adjusts the wattage reported upward as necessary to match a 10 hour limit. In other words, when the battery is fully charged (79Wh), it always seems to report battery level / 10 W for the first hour or two.

Other things. Battery drain during suspend is fairly significant. Overnight, I probably lose 5-10Wh, which is on the order of 30-60 minutes battery time.

-- Buck