asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

UL30A: BIOS bug in v212, was: UL30A: BIOS v113 bug?

I recently reported this:

On 26.04.2010 00:39 bugs.launchpad.net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've upgraded my UL30A's BIOS from version 211 to version 212 [1] the
> other day. While 211 was mostly working well, and the sole BIOS
> 'changelog' entry for v211 just says "Firmware Change" (doh!) I still
> thought it's worth a try.
>
> So I upgraded, and the upgrade went smoothly. Unfortunately, after
> booting the same Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) AMD64 with the same (default)
> kernel version and patchlevel as before (linux-image-2.6.31-20-generic
> 2.6.31-20.58) with the same (default) kernel parameters and no relevant
> change in installed packages, I realized that the external monitor I had
> attached via VGA cable before and after the BIOS upgrade, was no longer
> getting detected by X as the product type and model it is (but I knew it
> was getting detected before the BIOS upgrade).
[..]

First of all, I should clarify what I did, since I got the BIOS version
wrong in my emails' subject line. I had upgraded from BIOS v211 to v212.
This caused the EDID reading from VGA to fail. Mentioning "v113" was
incorrect and by mistake.

The news:
I have now downgraded from BIOS v212 (where EDID readings fail from VGA)
to BIOS v211. And my external VGA connected monitor is detected fine
again. gnome-display-properties displays it as DELL 22'' again and
'sudo get-edid | parse-edid' works fine with get-edid (as well as
parse-edid) reporting no error (it did with BIOS v212).

Conclusion:
BIOS v212 is buggy. Do not use it if you intend to have an external
monitor connected (such as for presentations or in your workplace /
docking station) on the VGA port.

It would be nice to know whether the same issue applies for HDMI outputs
and BIOS v212, too. If you upgraded to v212 and have a chance to test,
please report your findings, too.

Thanks,

Moritz