bazel-team team mailing list archive

Re: Full bazel in Debian?

Hi Julian,

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 2:25 PM Julian Gilbey <jdg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ooo, that will be an issue.  This package (upstream source at
> https://github.com/dae/anki.git) now uses Python, Rust and Node
> packages, so it's got quite a lot of dependencies.  I'm assuming it
> calls cargo to build the Rust library, and goodness only knows what it
> does with Node...  So this package may have to wait for buster+1,
> which is fine - there's a perfectly good older version in buster.

Do you mean bullseye (and bullseye+1)? If so, that's probably a safe
decision right now if you already have a good version of anki in testing.

Looking through the anki source, the Bazel packaging doesn't actually look
*that* complicated. However, if there's not a compelling reason to rush,
I'd suggest waiting until Bazel builds in Debian are more stable (and
easier). I anticipate Bazel achieving First Class Citizen status sometime
during the bullseye+1 cycle so that'll be a good time to pursue this
upgrade.

-Olek