bazel-team team mailing list archive

Re: Strange build failures on mips64el

Greetings MIPS porters, (and adding Java Team as well)

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 11:31 PM Olek Wojnar <olek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello again MIPS porters,
>
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 8:35 PM YunQiang Su <wzssyqa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Olek Wojnar <olek@xxxxxxxxxx> 于2020年11月12日周四 上午3:57写道:
>> >
>> > Dear MIPS porters,
>> >
>> > I've had my bazel-bootstrap package fail to build twice on mips64el
>> [1]. The error I'm seeing is: "The system is out of resources." This has
>> happened on two different buildds so it seems more than a coincidence. Do
>> any of you have an idea of what might be causing this? The package *should*
>> build on all 64-bit architectures and it builds successfully on all other
>> 64-bit architectures in Debian.
>> >

>> Let me have a try on my Loongson machines.
>>

> Any luck figuring out what's going on? I just had another strange failure
> for gRPC-java [2] and I don't really know what to make of it either.

Good news, the grpc-java issue is now fixed.

> I'd appreciate any advice. If this is a bug, which package should I file
> it against? Thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm still not able to build bazel-bootstrap on this
architecture. I added memory to the Java build [3] so it no longer fails
from running out of heap space. However, it now fails with an exception
(Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1).

I created a Dockerfile [4] that will allow for an easy demonstration of the
problem from any host architecture.

[2]
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=grpc-java&arch=mips64el&ver=1.26.0%2Bds-1&stamp=1608806312&raw=0
>

>> > Thanks in advance for any insights!
>> >
>> > -Olek
>> >
>> > PS I'm not subscribed to this list, please copy me on replies.
>> >
>> > [1]
>> https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=bazel-bootstrap&ver=3.4.0%2Bds-2&arch=mips64el

I'd appreciate any insights. Thanks!

-Olek (subscribed to both Bazel and Java lists so no need to copy me if
you're copying either of those lists)

[3]
https://salsa.debian.org/bazel-team/bazel-bootstrap/-/commit/7ddf230cc1e68caadacfc7bc6b9401f8bff3588e
[4]