bkrpr team mailing list archive

distutils and setup.py

I looked at some of the various ways to package a Python app and I agree with Karl that distutils is the way to go.

Karl, I put these changes in <lp:~james.vasile/bkrpr/setup>. Would you take a look at it and, if it meets your approval, merge it into trunk. ?

The standard pythonic behavior 'python setup.py sdist' makes a compressed source distribution (a .tar.gz or .zip) and puts it in ./dists. 'make local-dist' now runs that sdist command. There is no equivalent to our current 'make dist', since distutils is not aware of bazaar. Anything you want to do to change this is fine by me.

distutils has some interesting stuff for making rpms and windows installers. The documentation says nothing about .debs and I'm not sure how to handle dependencies yet. Still, I think this is progress.

Ian tells me packaging all the dependencies with Bkrpr is the way to do this, and I'm inclined to agree. We can make a dependency-less installer available too, but most users will prefer to pay the 30MB of disk space in return for not thinking about dependencies.

-James

Follow ups