boots-discuss team mailing list archive

Testing boots -- an ironic failure

Hello,

I'm trying to test boots but tests.py hangs even though drizzled is running
and responds to both boots cli and mysql cli.  tcpdump shows no traffic so
apparently a connection is not even being attempted.  Ctrl-c and a backtrace
gave me,

  File "/home/daniel/dev/boots/trunk/tests/boots/api/api_tests.py", line 62,
in test_invalid_connect
    self.assertRaises(errors.ConnectionError, server.connect)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/unittest.py", line 336, in failUnlessRaises
    callableObj(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/daniel/dev/boots/trunk/tests/boots/../../boots/api/api.py", line
143, in connect
    self._connection = self._connect()

So I went looking and found,

    def test_invalid_connect(self):
        server = self.make_server(host="xyz")

Out of sheer curiosity I did "host xzy" and what do you know, it resolves!  I
work from my university and apparently they have a box called xyz.  So the
test hangs trying to connect to that box (over my wlan0 if, which is why
tcpdump shows nothing on lo).

I guess the connect method has no timeout?  (Or it's really long and I'm too
impatient.)

I doubt this will be a common problem for others, but fyi just in case.

-Daniel

Follow ups