brewtarget-devs team mailing list archive

MySQL versus the cloud

So, I've been pondering my work on other database backend's versus cloud storage of recipes and whatnot. I just recently got an email from beersmith about their mobile app, but it reminds me that they now have cloud storage of recipes and other data. My problem with MySQL is that not everyone can build without MySQL, and there are some distribution issues going forward with this. But if there is a cloud solution, then you get distribution, but only of your content. And, it gives us a mobile opportunity in the future.

Just thinking out loud here. I'm not sure what the cost is going forward (monetary), but it is more flexible in the long run. I can probably cover some server/database costs assuming we don't become facebook, but I haven't really investigated what those costs might be. It wouldn't be too hard to implement given Qt already has the ability to do the web portion.

Thoughts?

-Pete