brewtarget-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Windows compiling and packaging

I wouldn't be surprised if a few dlls are missing from the install. So far,
nobody has really developed on Windows, so what happens is when we get
ready for a release, I will build on Windows and run [Dependency Walker](
http://www.dependencywalker.com/) to see if we need to ship any extra dlls.
In case you haven't found it, the place where we specify all the dlls is
CMakeLists.txt:336.

The reason it works locally for you is that the Qt binary dir (part of the
Qt SDK you installed) has all the dlls, and will likely be part of your
PATH so Windows will link to those and run. For this reason, you don't have
to worry about the dlls going into the right install directories if you are
just developing. It is only when you ship the product that it becomes a
real concern, and you have to get it right.

I just build with the mingw toolchain on Windows. Qt always releases a
version of the sdk that comes pre-packaged with mingw. This is easiest for
me, since I can still run 'make' and do all the unix-y things without
having to learn a bunch of Windows stuff. Right now, I am using the Qt
5.3.2 SDK + mingw.