budgie-remix-bug-busters team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
[Bug 1970255] Re: ubuntu-bug budgie-control-center --> bug when change language
This bug was fixed in the package budgie-control-center - 1.0.1-2ubuntu1
budgie-control-center (1.0.1-2ubuntu1) jammy; urgency=medium
Adapt GCC ubuntu specific language & region chooser to ensure
language & locale selection is displayed and able to choose from
-- David Mohammed <fossfreedom@xxxxxxxxxx> Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:06:18
** Changed in: budgie-control-center (Ubuntu Jammy)
Status: Fix Committed => Fix Released
You received this bug notification because you are a member of ubuntu
budgie bug busters, which is subscribed to budgie-control-center in
ubuntu-bug budgie-control-center --> bug when change language
Status in budgie-control-center package in Ubuntu:
Status in budgie-control-center source package in Jammy:
* Multi language users cannot switch from English US to their own
language via Budgie's control center application
* This is essential capability for users who need to work across
* The fix here is to lift the exact same patch as in jammy's GNOME
Control Center that adapts to Ubuntu's specific language patching in
accountservice et al.
* Start budgie-control-center and navigate to the Region tab
* From the language box confirm that the language is your current language e.g. French. Without the fix the language box will say "English United States"
* Try to set to another language and click the restart session button when prompted. Without the fix, this will fail.
* Next install from the proposed repo the package budgie-control-center
* logout and login and launch budgie-control-center
* again examine the language. This time the language box will say what your current language is
* Try to set to another language and click the restart session button when prompted. Log back in and check that your chosen language is set correctly. Repeat for any other language you have installed.
[Where problems could occur]
* The main issue here is that Ubuntu has a series of specific language and locale patches that Budgie Control Center does not currently work against.
* The patch is taken directly from the current v41 version of GNOME Control Center on jammy and refreshed to remove the fuzz.
* This patch in itself has been carried by Ubuntu since 2019 so its been well tested.
* the risk here is that the patch introduces additional issues in Budgie Control Center - an app that is specific to Budgie and no other desktop environment.
* The risk is deemed low by the team since Budgie Control Center and GNOME Control Center are forked from the same code base
* Budgie Control Center does not carry all the Ubuntu specific patching. I have examined the ubuntu patchwork and the only other patch we don't carry is the addition of the button to launch gnome-language-selector. This isnt needed by Budgie since the app is available from our menu.
* The package itself has been tested by the Ubuntu Budgie team via a
specific test PPA https://launchpad.net/~ubuntubudgie-
dev/+archive/ubuntu/budgie-control-center switching from Dutch to
english and back to Dutch
* From a regression mitigation, Budgie already has gnome-control-
center installed - just not visible to users. That can be used via
the command line to perform any issues that we deem as a regression
until things are resolved.
ubuntu-bug budgie-control-center --> I can´t change the language from
English (united States) to Português (Portugal) --> And when I try
and press the Select button, don’t work and change the format to
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 22.04
Package: budgie-control-center 1.0.1-2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.15.0-25.25-generic 5.15.30
Uname: Linux 5.15.0-25-generic x86_64
Date: Mon Apr 25 19:14:18 2022
InstallationDate: Installed on 2022-04-24 (0 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Budgie 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64 (20220419)
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
To manage notifications about this bug go to: