bugsquad-mentorship-group-alpha team mailing list archive

Re: Feedback from current mentees

Hi there, I'm one of those mentes who got confused and lost interest in the
mentorship program (although I'm still very interested in helping out with
Ubuntu and with triaging -I've organizated a UGJ locally). And even when I
know I've no right to demand anything, since every people who is here just
do it for fun or pleasure, I'd like to share the experience in hope to
improve it and to not terminate such a wonderful idea.

When I heard for the first time about the mentoring a thought it could
something much more 'easy to follow', I mean I expected private talks for
the group (somekind the UDW), todo lists, exercises and so on. I know this
may sounds lame because I basically expected that the mentors could be
'teachers' who could give us lots of tips and assign us at first, easy tasks
and from there, we could have started to move forward. Now I know they
expected the same from us, they wanted we *for ourselves* find our way to
start triaging and just ask for precise questions, but in that case, I would
just do it for IRC (it's faster, and people is always willing to help,
they've answered my questions every time).

So I thing the right thing to do (at least for a mentoring program), is to
have a specific shedule (where it could be showed how long could take
different stages (1 week for reading documentation, 1 week for working on
specific bugs -where everybody could work on the same type to get in touch
between us and talk about the same topics, after 2 weeks or something like
that we could start to triage X bugs for week, etc). I thing a mentoring
program can be rigid, because if we enroll ourselves to a mentoring program
is because we really have no idea where to start or still don't have
favorite packages, if we already knew what we want we will just jump into
the IRC channels to ask questions. It's just my idea.

I think we could had had a stadistic page who could had showed us how well
we were doing and assign points or something to keep us motivated, just
while we reached the scape velocity to get enough confidence to continue for
ourselves, in which case we would just start to hanging out in the IRC
channel, and the mentoring program could start another cicle.