bumblebee team mailing list archive

Problems with uninstallation and reinstallation

Attached is the bumblebee-bugreport output.

I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with kernel 3.0.0-15-generic

The manufacture/model info is as follows:

    Dell Inc.
    baseboard-product-name: 032T9K
    baseboard-version     : A02
    system-manufacturer   : Dell Inc.
    system-product-name   : Latitude E6420
    system-version        : 01
    bios-vendor           : Dell Inc.
    bios-version          : A08
    bios-release-date     : 10/18/2011

optirun -V output

    optirun (Bumblebee) 3.0
    Copyright (C) 2011 The Bumblebee Project
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Problem description:

I was able to get bumblebee working on a new work computer that I just
got, but was disappointed when I realized that with this specific
model, the HDMI seems to be piped directly from the NVIDIA card, thus
making it impossible to get the maximal resolution on my secondary
monitor at work. I tried uninstalling bumblebee using my package
tools, and then installed the normal NVIDIA drivers directly. I got a
blank screen and wasn't able to start up X. Removing the xorg.conf
file and rebooting, I was able to get back into X, but the graphics
were not working. I messed around with the config files a bit with one
of our tech support staff, but we weren't able to get that working.

I figured that I was at least able to get Gnome Shell and Unity
working with the bumblebee setup, and that would be better than
nothing. But when I removed the NVIDIA drivers and tried to install
everything through bumblebee again, I was not able to get Gnome Shell
or Unity back, even though optirun was working from the terminal
(showing the high frame rates that I would expect from the graphics
card). I went through all of the Troubleshooting guide and wasn't able
to find anything that helped. I've tried all sorts of apt-purging,
removing, and autocleaning to make sure that nothing was getting left
behind that shouldn't, but to no avail.

Part of me is suspicious that this is related to some xorg.conf issue.
Because I had our tech guy helping me, it was unclear which xorg.conf
file was actually working with the first bumblebee install. So some
help about what there should be in `/etc/X11/xorg.conf` (if anything,
since I noticed there is stuff in `/etc/bumblebee`) might be the
ticket.

Thanks for your help

Christopher Small
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center