bumblebee team mailing list archive

Re: Bumblebee Precise packaging

Hi Bruno,

I've just booted a fresh Live session of Kubuntu 12.04 AMD64 and can
confirm that the new packages are
working properly. I'll do another test with Ubuntu 12.04 I think.

The "little problem with uninstall" is actually the expected behavior. If
you install Bumblebee accidentally
on a system with no Optimus, the configuration should not be forced to use
the Mesa libs. Purging
nvidia-current is the correct behavior.

virtualgl depends on libturbojpeg because the static library could not be
linked into the shared
librrfaker.so library from virtualgl. Note: this change is **not** directly
backportable to versions older
than Oneiric because natty and older do not have libjpeg-turbo in the
official repositories nor
support for Multi-Arch.

A workaround for the adduser stuff is by setting the default group to "adm"
or "sudo" thus
avoiding adding the default user to a group. This is really bad practise
though as these
groups have little relevance with bumblebee. What about copying the adm
("may read
system logs"), sudo (sudoers users in 12.04 and later), admin (sudoers in
11.10 and before)
members to bumblebee? That works in a default installation.

Summarizing the packages that needs to be copied to stable (letters
indicate ubuntu versions):

- virtualgl: o,p (oneiric,precise)
- bumblebee: l, n, o, p (no maverick, support is dropped)
- bbswitch: lnop (copy from precise) (aside, I just copied p -> lno in
testing)

libjpeg-turbo is dropped from precise and later since the repositories
already contain this
package. We may drop it from oneiric too for the same reason, but let's
keep it as it.

acpi-call is useful for testing and I know that some are still using it to
trigger a
switch of the card for certain hardware. Let's copy 1.1.1 from testing to
stable, lnop?

Peter

PS. I'm cc'ing this to the bumblebee ml as the public may be interested in
this conversation

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Bruno Pagani <bruno.n.pagani@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  Hi Peter,
>
> Did saw that you've updated the packages. I did some test, all worked
> fine. Update is OK, new installation on amd64 does also install i386
> appropriate libs, so, looks perfect for me. Just faced a little problem
> with uninstall, I lost 3D acceleration on Intel chip, but uninstalling
> nvidia-current solved that.
>
> I've noticed that virtualgl now depends on libjpeg-turbo. I suppose this
> is necessary ? Else, I find still clumsy this need to adduser. Don't we
> have any alternatives for that ?
>
> If everything is OK for you too, I'm going to create missing packages for
> other distributions, update all logs and script and upload those.
>
> Bruno

Follow ups