bumblebee team mailing list archive

optirun without an X session

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 15z and am doing some pretty resource-heavy CUDA GPGPU
development.  I have both a GeForce GT 525M and internal Intel graphics.  I
run Ubuntu 12.04.

If I run a CUDA binary without optirun, Ubuntu fails to detect a CUDA
device (I'm guessing because I have bumblebee-nvidia and not generic nvidia
installed?).  However, when I run *with* optirun, an X server starts on the
GPU and my code times out because of the watchdog
timer.

I'm looking for a way to get around the watchdog timer, by either:

1.) Powering up the GPU and loading the drivers without starting an X
session (No display, no watchdog)
2.) Powering up the GPU and starting an X session, but disabling the
watchdog timer in that session (I hear there's a global flag, but not sure
how to unset it in a headless X session)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Imogen Wright
SANBI