bumblebee team mailing list archive

Re: Bumblebee issue with Ubutnut 12.04.1 LTS 64bit on Dell Vostro 3750, solved by acpi_backlight=vendor

On Thursday 27 September 2012 18:15:46 Simon McNair wrote:
> Couldn't get
>
> $ for keyword in baseboard-manufacturer baseboard-product-name
> baseboard-version system-manufacturer system-product-name
> system-version bios-vendor bios-version bios-release-date; do
>     printf "%-22s: " "$keyword";
>     sudo dmidecode -s "$keyword";
> done
>
> to work, I pasted it in to terminal to no avail and tried it in a
> shell file to no avail.  I also have a launchpad account but could see
> no way to email (with attachment's) from it.
You need to install the "dmidecode" package.

> Copyright (C) 2011 The Bumblebee Project
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to
> change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted
> by law.
>
> I found that everytime I turned the laptop on, the display would die.
> acpi=off and/or acpi_backlight=vendor seem to fix it but I have no
> idea if they are ideal, I'm of the personal opinion that
> acpi_backlight seems to be the least impact to power management etc.
acpi=off results in a higher power usage because it disables power management
completely and seems to break nvidia (optirun) (I think you can't suspend with
it either). acpi_backlight should be the way to go.

Regards,
Peter