c4c-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Computers4Christians' Future

Hi,
(inline thoughts below)
On 6/29/20 6:11 PM, Eric Bradshaw wrote:
> (snip)
>
> 1. I'm thinking of re-spinning Ubuntu with the Xfce
> <https://xfce.org/> Desktop Environment in order to stick with Gtk
> <https://www.gtk.org/> going forward

You might also look into using Debian, since they support more hardware
than Ubuntu (32bit, 64bit, arm, ppc64, etc.....)

I'd also say you should look into using Whisker Menu, for the default
App menu.

> 1a. If C4C does use Xfce, I'm not sure if I should be concerned about
> the Thunar File Manager

PCManFM is much better IMHO, if you need a different one, though Thunar
is better integrated into XFCE.

> 1b. Xfce features the Parole
> <https://docs.xfce.org/apps/parole/introduction> media player. I am
> almost positive I would want to keep VLC <https://www.videolan.org/vlc/>.

VLC is much better known outside the GNU world, so it would be more
recognizable/safer

> 2. I'm thinking of dropping Computers4Christians Chapters
> <http://computers4christians.org/Chapters.html>.

Pray about it :D

--
Regards,