cairo-dock-team team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #253206]: Ubuntu 14.04 cannot add workspaces; no Unity bar

Question #253206 on Cairo-Dock Core changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/cairo-dock-core/+question/253206

Matthieu Baerts proposed the following answer:
For #1: I just added a special case in the development version for Compiz's users: now if you want to add/remove desktops, it will only add workspaces (it's not nice to use more than one desktop with Compiz) and do that via DBus instead of via X11 (it will save the new state because Compiz doesn't save changes made from X11)
You can test this new feature by adding our "Weekly PPA" => http://www.glx-dock.org/ww_page.php?p=ppa%20Weekly&lang=en
 (note: the new version should be available in less than 5 minutes)

For #2:
> 1) I don't get the Ununtu lens or launch button

You can use our Default-Panel theme to have something like that: http://download.tuxfamily.org/glxdock/communication/images/3.1/png/0.png
The Applications Menu applet contains a search box to quickly find an application (you can hit Ctrl+F1 shortkey). You can also use the Recent Events applet to find a file that has been created/opened recently or the last apps that you have launched, etc.
Another tool like Synapse can also help you to replace the Unity menu (but yes, you'll maybe not find all features but there are maybe too much feature ;-) )

> 2) I am also missing the top bar

The Default-Panel theme can help you.
If you like GTK Panel, you can maybe launch the Gnome Classic session (I think you need to install 'gnome-panel' packages => http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/how-to-install-and-tweak-gnome.html ) or use an application like 'Tint2' bar.

> 3) if I set the system option for display to display application menus
in the application title bar, it does not work in Cairo-dock

Are you talking about the "Global Menu" feature? (the menu of any apps in the top bar)
Yes, we have an applet to do that but it is still in Beta (not available in our Stable releases). But about the problem, the menus should not be in the middle of nowhere. Maybe you need to restart the session or disable this option.

> 1) With the Unity plugin Enabled: there is no top bar, and I cannot
see the application menu anywhere

Strange, maybe you have to use the 'Ubuntu' session to use this Unity
plugin.

> 2) the top dock is always disappearing behind the top bar

Which top dock? You can not have two panels/docks at the same position:
X11 doesn't handle this case.

> I just nee to get the syntax of those 2 commands you sent me

It's not 2 commands but only one (it's Launchpad which has added new
lines :-) )

[code]
a=`gsettings get org.compiz.core:/org/compiz/profiles/Default/plugins/core/ active-plugins`; gsettings set org.compiz.core:/org/compiz/profiles/Default/plugins/core/ active-plugins "${a:0:-1}, 'unity']"
[/code]

> will that mean I no longer have the option to log in to the standard
Unity login - that is, will it modify the default login and replace it
with a CD (Unity)?

If fact, you can launch the Unity session and then start the dock (e.g.
from Unity's dash). Then you can add Cairo-Dock into the list of apps
which are automatically launched at startup: you will have Unity and
Cairo-Dock at startup. To do that, you can simply do a right click on
the dock / Cairo-Dock / Launch at startup.

PS: note that it's no longer possible to only have the Unity top bar without Unity's dock but you can modify Unity settings (with Unity-Tweak-Tool or CCSM) to always hide this Unity dock ;-)

Cairo-Dock Devs, which is an answer contact for Cairo-Dock Core.