cairo-dock-team team mailing list archive

Re: [Merge] lp:~jgonzalezdr/cairo-dock-plug-ins/suspend-workaround-applet into lp:cairo-dock-plug-ins

Hello and thank you for this new applet!

As you said, it's easier and a more user-friendly solution to just enable an applet than downloading an external script and launching it at startup.

But the only goal of this applet is to provide a workaround to fix a bug in the Nvidia drivers and this is why we never add this solution in an applet... (Indeed it's better to fix the bug than having a lot of workarounds which are not so easy to maintain)

On the other hand, I agree with you: this bug is known and it seems Nvidia devs will not fix it soon. We have to find a solution!
Why not an even easier solution for the end user? Here we'll have a new plugin but the user will have to enable it (and we can't enable it by default, it has "a cost", it's just a workaround for a minority of users). Why not detecting the video drivers and then automatically reload the icons (or just the dynamic ones) if there is a change? We'll have to do that in the Core, a bit like the solution that we used before for the bug with the Intel 4000HD video card.

**@fabounet**: what do you think about that? It will not add any new dependences, just connect to a new signal only if proprietary NVidia drivers are used.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~jgonzalezdr/cairo-dock-plug-ins/suspend-workaround-applet/+merge/233496
Your team Cairo-Dock Devs is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~jgonzalezdr/cairo-dock-plug-ins/suspend-workaround-applet into lp:cairo-dock-plug-ins.