cairo-dock-team team mailing list archive

[Question #687479]: Triggering cairo-dock events via command line?

New question #687479 on Cairo-Dock Core:
https://answers.launchpad.net/cairo-dock-core/+question/687479

Hi,

I've just started using Cairo-Dock as a replacement for FVWMTaskBar in FVWM2… and so far, things are working well.  I have it running on two Debian 10 machines (an old Samsung netbook and a Raspberry Pi 3 with 7" touchscreen), and my laptop running Gentoo.  I might drag my desktop from work up and get it running there too (it runs Ubuntu 18.04).

One thing I'd like to be able to do though, is trigger events on Cairo-Dock through the FVWM menu / keyboard shortcut system.

At the moment, I just tap the Logo key on the keyboard, a menu pops up with a small pop-up menu with further operations that can be accessed by individual keys.  Adding Cairo-Dock actions to that menu would be brilliant.

Possibly the easiest way would be for some command line tool that tells Cairo-Dock to perform an action like "open Application Menu" or "set focus to system tray".  Maybe it talks to cairo-dock via dbus, directly through the X server, or something else, not sure.

I would just then need to add an item to my menu that calls "Exec exec cairo-dock-do-something my-action".  This would work no matter what the desktop environment or window manager is, FVWM2, twm, Fluxbox, awesome, anything you care to mention.

I tried asking this on the forum, you might see a few registration attempts from me, the forum just seemed to send me back to the registration page with no explanation why.  Thankfully there's LaunchPad.

Regards,
Stuart Longland

--
You received this question notification because your team Cairo-Dock
Devs is an answer contact for Cairo-Dock Core.