calibre-devs team mailing list archive

Concept for interfacing with repositories such as Feedbooks

Hello,

I wonder if anyone is interested in adding some functionality in Calibre
to make it a little bit easier to work with online content repositories.

I used jbook for a while and liked how even though it was a reader it
had the capacity to get a list of txt files from project gutenberg
servers and download the content to browse locally.

When I saw the iPhone with Stanza could do something similar with
feedbooks.com (see http://www.feedbooks.com/help/iphone) I decided to
try and do something similar since there were a lot of ebooks that I
wanted to download at once.

Not having looked at the python scripts behind Calibre, I just cobbled
together a rudimentary python script that queries the feedbook.com
library through the web API, then parses the resulting xml file and
downloads the e-books (currently only epubs).

If that wasn't enough of a limitation, the results xml page doesn't
contain all ebooks, just the first 20.

The available documentation is minimal, but so far the API seems to be
pretty intuitive. Just have to wait for the email reply to get some way
to work around the 20 item limit.

I'm considering making a simple graphical interface, so users averse to
the command line can point and click. Before I go that route, I wanted
to touch base and get feedback about this approach and how well it
meshes (or doesn't) with the development goals and roadmap of Calibre.

Thanks in advance.

-Sean.

--

Fear Not The Penguin