canonical-isd-hackers team mailing list archive

Re: [Launchpad-dev] How do we fix the Launchpad's login experience?

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:45:30 +1000, William Grant <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 00:38 -0400, Elliot Murphy wrote:
> > now you mention
> > LP already has stopped being an OP?
>
> It no longer serves as a direct OpenID provider, correct.
>
> > I use
> > https://launchpad.net/~statik/ to login via openID to various 3rd
> > party sites such as stackoverflow.com. Is this going to stop working
> > ?(I won't complain if it does, just trying to understand)
>
> That's the XRDS coming into play. If you look at the HTML, you'll see
> elements delegating the page's identity to login.launchpad.net.

This should point to login.ubuntu.com now really, I guess.  Oh, except
it seems that login.ubuntu.com doesn't accept requests from unknown RPs?

> login.launchpad.net and login.ubuntu.com are real OpenID providers,
> while Launchpad just has a couple of tags that delegate.
>
> This XRDS dates from the days when LP was an OpenID provider, and there
> was no other URL to use. It could probably be deprecated, perhaps with
> newly-created profiles not providing the delegation tags.

What would it be deprecated in favour of?  I can remember
http://launchpad.net/~mwhudson!

Cheers,
mwh