checkbox-dev team mailing list archive

Re: optical resource

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Brendan Donegan <
brendan.donegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My proposal to refactor the optical resource script goes something like
> this:
>
> DVD drive
>
> udevadm info --export-db
>
> E: ID_CDROM=1
> E: ID_CDROM_CD=1
> E: ID_CDROM_CD_R=1
> E: ID_CDROM_CD_RW=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD_PLUS_R=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD_PLUS_RW=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD_PLUS_R_DL=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD_R=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD_RAM=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD_RW=1
>
> BluRay Drive
>
> udevadm info --export-db
>
> E: ID_CDROM=1
> E: ID_CDROM_BD=1
> E: ID_CDROM_BD_R=1
> E: ID_CDROM_BD_RE=1
> E: ID_CDROM_CD=1
> E: ID_CDROM_CD_R=1
> E: ID_CDROM_CD_RW=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD_PLUS_R=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD_PLUS_RW=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD_PLUS_R_DL=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD_R=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD_RAM=1
> E: ID_CDROM_DVD_RW=1
> E: ID_CDROM_MEDIA=1
> E: ID_CDROM_MEDIA_BD_RE=1

Heh, funny that _CDROM_BD was too easy apparently so they added _MEDIA,
anyway.

> So we use udevadm to figure out which capabilities a drive has. This seems
> almost too straightforward to be true (why did we use wodim if it's this
> simple?) so I'm guessing there's something I'm missing. If not all the
> better.
>
> Nope, this looks quite right. I'd like to convert this to a nice resource.

> (Look it even tells you if there's a disk inserted and what kind of media
> it is! ID_CDROM_MEDIA_BD_RE)

Dragons be here: we don't re-run resources. I'd like to have special "live"
resources that are kind-of re-executed before each attempt to use them but
we don't have those now. If the user had a disk while the resource ran then
removed it afterwards but before something that depends on it gets a chance
to run the test will fail.

Thanks
ZK

PS: cross-posting to the new mailing list

Follow ups