checkbox-dev team mailing list archive

PlainBox translation HOWTO

Hey everyone.

This is a rough howto document for PlainBox translators:

$ bzr branch lp:checkbox i18n
$ cd i18n
$ ./mk-venv /tmp/venv
$ . /tmv/venv/bin/activate
$ cd plainbox
# XX is your language code
$ cp po/plainbox.pot po/XX.po
$ $EDITOR po/XX.po

Look at pl.po, the first entry in the file needs to have correct meta-data
(most important are language name/code and plural form expression). Look at
other translations for hints. Plural expressions can be found on [1]. Edit
something that you can quickly verify, like the help string of `plainbox
run` (grep for it). Then save and suspend your editor and run

$ ./setup.py build_i18n
$ plainbox run --help

If you didn't see anything translated then ensure PLAINBOX_LOCALE_DIR is
set to build/mo (it should be set by mk-venv but if you are reusing older
virtualenv it will not be). Propose and merge your translations normally.
You can also edit everything on launchpad now *but* I would recommend
against it. Once we go through the manual verification process for the
template, then other translators can fill in the data, for now we need to
see it live in a rapid edit-run cycle and that requires local code editing.
You can try using a dedicated translation app. I tried gtranslator and it
was so-so (it worked but I prefer to work in vim)

If you have any questions feel free to ask me or Daniel (he started
translating into Spanish)

Best regards
Zygmunt Krynicki

[1]