checkbox-dev team mailing list archive

Re: About localized testing experience

Sure.

The default behavior is what we currently do, strip all localization
settings inherited from the tester's environment.

Let's say you are running a test that shows a window and tells you how to
proceed in that window. Even if we do everything required to get that
localized, translate every single message to every language on the planet,
all of that will never be used. PlainBox disables localization (by
pretending to run on "80s POSIX system) for all external programs it
launches.

So as we go and fix our scripts we don't need that behavior. Instead, if a
script is localized (like all scripts should be) it will use the natural
language that the tester expects to see. If a particular script needs to
run an external command and parse the output it can handle disabling l10n
internally, just for that command. Here's where the flag comes in handy, as
we go and fix each script (one by one) we can add the 'preserve-locale'
flag to jobs that run that script. Eventually all our scripts will use that
flag and the entire user experience will be localized, limited only by
translation coverage.

I hope that explains it.

Best regards
ZK