checkbox-dev team mailing list archive

IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ: plainbox 0.13.1

Hey

TL;DR; Please upgrade to plainbox 0.13.1 or plainbox 0.14 snapshot
ASAP as plainbox 0.13 is critically broken.

Earlier today we have started investigating two issues:

 * https://bugs.launchpad.net/plainbox/+bug/1375158
 * https://bugs.launchpad.net/plainbox/+bug/1375724

Both bugs are critical and crippling. Both are recent regressions
introduced during the 0.13 release cycle. The first of the two is now
fixed. This is the bug that both Tai and Sam experienced today. The
good news is that this bug is now gone. The bad news is that this bug
is destroying the serialized session state thus making recovery
impossible. Affected machines need to be re-tested. One cannot just
'plainbox session export' the logs again.

The second bug is less serious but equally crippling. It's a follow up
to the recent XML control characters issue that we've fixed before
(twice, this is the second bug and third iteration of this patch).

I've included *all* of the discussion about those bugs so that anyone
following can cross-check my logic and verify that the bug is
correctly identified and the discovered issue is fixed.

Daniel will release an emergency 0.13.1 release and publish it in the
stable PPA. The release will be made from plainbox-v0.13 with the two
fixes cherry-picked (they are both single patches so this is easy).
The relevant branches are linked to the bug reports.

As for what we've learned: I would like to amend the release candidate
testing procedure to include a test where we resume a newly created,
suspended session. We can even work on automating that via a
fully-automatic test case (a shell script anyone can run). Performing
this test would have caught one of the issues and would have prevented
us from having to re-test machines as the second bug can be simply
fixed in the field allowing existing test results to be recovered.

If you have any questions about this feel free to contact us directly
either in the internal #Cert channel, on #checkbox or via email.

NOTE: to those that wish to reply on one of the mailing lists, please
note that checkbox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is a public mailing list.

Best regards
Zygmunt Krynicki

Follow ups