checkbox-dev team mailing list archive

Piglit update (v3)

Hey.

I'd like to give you a quick update on where we are with piglit. I
took the code we had in the checkbox provider and rewrote it from
scratch. Piglit has changed significantly and I also wanted to improve
the quality of the wrapper.

I've created a new provider [1] that understands the v4 format of
piglit storage. I've also copied all of the jobs (adding a "new" infix
to the name so that we can use both without clashing) and changed them
to use the new wrapper script. There's one rough edge (summary report
doesn't do anything) but it's easy to address and I'll get it to work
on Monday.

We can inject this provider into the CDTS bundle and after altering
the test plan (for vivid only) it should work okay. What I'd like to
do instead though is to add support for older piglit to the new
wrapper (it is much easier to do than before) and just run thew new
set unconditionally, for all releases).

Lastly, on why the new provider. In my opinion, the checkbox provider
has the same "kitchen sink" property that checkbox-legacy had. It's
too big in scope and bundles too much. In consequence it's hard to
know if something is needed or how it works. I hope that by doing
small, focused providers (perhaps the next one could be storage) we
can iterate faster, release smaller updates and understand our code
better.

If you want to give it a try, here's the branch. After you get it make
sure to re-run mk-venv so that the new provider is detected (remove
your old venv first). You will need piglit from my PPA to get this to
work [2].

I'll open the merge request once I'm done coding (mainly a few changes
to the pxu file, only the first job was really tested and changed).

Thanks
ZK

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~zkrynicki/checkbox/new-piglit-support
[2] https://launchpad.net/~zkrynicki/+archive/ubuntu/piglit