clicompanion-devs team mailing list archive

bzr checkin comment for revision 88 does not match changes

See
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~clicompanion-devs/clicompanion/trunk/revision/88?start_revid=88

Revision 88 of lp:clicompanion says it is "color removed".

(1) That's a bit unhelpful as a checkin comment, it is too general --
what color(s) were removed from what, why?  How is this revision
different from the one before it, the comment for which was "removed
colors".  Please, let's use more meaningful checking comments.

I think this is part of a recent bug fix, so why is that LP bug ID not
mentioned *anywhere* in the change, so it can be referred to by someone
wanting to understand this revision?

This kind of "just hack in a change, direct to the trunk, don't bother
to get a code review" approach is going to make the clicompanion
codebase harder and harder to understand and maintain.  This is not a
one-man project; good development practices *matter* when you are
working as a team!

(2) That's not all this revision does!

It also bumps the version number from 1.0 to 1.1, and adds a new author
to the list of authors, in clicompanionlib/controller.py

It is a *really* bad idea to hide important changes, like version number
and authorship changes (!) like this.

[Incidentally, I'm supposedly trying to fix the icon-not-displaying
issue, bug #608653, but I keep getting distracted by all the other odd
things I am seeing in the process! ]

I strongly urge that all future checkins to both application and
packaging trees MUST be:

  (A) done as a separate branch that is proposed for merge;

  (B) reviewed and accepted by another team member

before the work is merged into the trunk.  Starting right now.

Jonathan

Follow ups