clicompanion-devs team mailing list archive

Re: terminator over terminal

As far as I know, clicompanion uses vte lib to emulate a terminal, I don't
know (but it's not likely) if it's possible to launch terminator as another
process and interact with it.

Personally I love terminator, and I think it will be a great improvement
for clicompanion to use terminator as terminal emulator.

In fact, terminator already has something similar to clicompanion, is a
plugin called 'custom commands', that allows you to tag commands and
execute them from the menu.

Also, just checked the source, and terminator also uses vte, we could reuse
a lot of code from terminator.

I propose to reuse all the terminator's code (make a wrapper around
terminator or something similar), so we use terminator instead of using vte
directly, that will give us a great terminal app inside clicompanion.

This way we will also help improve terminator (finding bugs, or even
submitting patches and branches).

The plugin approach can also be a good solution, but will constrain the
code to only those methods allowed by the terminator's plugin api (still
under development).

David