Re: [Merge] ~smoser/cloud-init:fix/cii-kvmimage-preserve-original into cloud-init:master

> An image is a mutable thing.
> General flow of tests is:
>  - get an image
>  - update the image (install a new deb)
>  - create a snapshot
>  - launch a snapshot multiple times
>
> After creating a snapshot of the image the image can reasonably be destroyed.
> Just like in a "real cloud".
>  - get an image (download a cloud image or boot an instance we can
> update/modify)
>  - update the image
>  - create a snapshot (publish to a new ami id)
>
> At the point where we've created a new snapshot we no longer need the image.

Sure, but where in the workflow of our nightly tests will the images be purged,
or where in a developer workflow would the images actually get removed.
Does part of the make cloud-tests or whatever remove images?

> As it was previously, if we deleted the Image that the snapshot was created
> from, then the snapshot (a qcow image) was broken.

I'm not terribly concerned about manual deletion of images;  Is there some
automatic removal of images that would let a tree rot such that invoking
a cloud-test at a later time would break without the copy?

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~smoser/cloud-init/+git/cloud-init/+merge/334147
Your team cloud-init commiters is requested to review the proposed merge of ~smoser/cloud-init:fix/cii-kvmimage-preserve-original into cloud-init:master.