use of network utilities

Hi,

We are deprecating support for

arp
ifconfig
netstat
route

But cloud-init still uses these commands (spare the 'arp' command) in
some places, namely:

cc_disable_ec2_metadata.py uses 'route'
netinfo.py uses 'ifconfig' and 'netstat'

The question is, do we expect cloud-init (spare freebsd) to run only on
distributions that support the new commands provided by iproute2?

I am asking because in cloudinit/net/__init__.py the 'ip' command is
used unconditonally, i.e. it is assumed that the 'ip' command exists. if
this is the case we should be able to replace the 'route', 'ifconfig',
and 'ntestat' commands in the other parts of the code as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                   MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
Distinguished Architect                       LINUX