Re: Multicast with cloud-init

On Mon, May 14, 2018, 12:59 Vikram Hosakote (vhosakot) <vhosakot@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi cloud-init team,
>
> Would it possible for cloud-init to make a cloud instance join a multicast
> group
> by sending an IGMP join message while the instance boots ?  Can we use
> cloud-init’s --user-data or --user-data-file argument to do this ?  If
> yes, are there
> any examples ?
>
> http://cloudinit.readthedocs.org/en/latest/topics/format.html#example
>
> This will enable cloud instances receive multicast traffic in a cloud.

You can run whatever commands you want using a user-data script or
cloud-config data, so if you have an application that listens for multicast
traffic you can just start it from there like you would in any other script.

Be careful if you're using EC2.  VPC does not pass multicast traffic
between instances.