Merge userdata and vendordata?

I'm currently trying to figure out how to prevent userdata from overwriting vendordata. I was under the impression that specifying merge_how for _both_ userdata and vendordata might be the solution, but in my testing I am not seeing this.

Userdata - /var/lib/cloud/instance/user-data.txt
===========================
#cloud-config
merge_how:
 - name: list
   settings: [append]
 - name: dict
   settings: [no_replace, recurse_list]

runcmd:
  - echo hello world from user  > /run/hello_world_user

Vendordata - /var/lib/cloud/instance/vendor-data.txt
===========================
#cloud-config
merge_how:
 - name: list
   settings: [append]
 - name: dict
   settings: [no_replace, recurse_list]

runcmd:
  - echo hello world from vendor  > /run/hello_world_vendor

I would expect the existence of _both_ files, /run/hello_world_user and /run/hello_world_vendor. But only /run/hello_world_user exists. Am I doing something wrong? If merge_how isn't the way to merge vendordata and userdata, is there another way?

Thank you in advance!
Thomas

Follow ups