Re: Script execution order: why (once, boot, instance) instead of (once, instance, boot)?

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your excellent answer.

For my own edification, I'd be curious as to why once-boot-instance was
chosen back in 2011. Probably there was an instructive reason that I'm
unaware of but I'd be interested to know.

Either way, I take your point that changing it at this point would require
a pretty high bar. cloud-init has a truly massive user base and who knows
who an execution order change would break, and how.

Changing the order in /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg -- if that indeed would be an
effective remedy -- would not be great for my use case. I'm trying for a
"write a per-instance and per-boot script, then deploy anywhere and don't
worry about it" workflow, and if every host system would need an edit, that
could be a problem. If there's a way of overriding execution/module order
that can be provided by the user, eg through user data, that would be
significantly better.

Worst case though, it sounds like I could simply live with the existing
characteristics of cloud-init, namely that anything in per-boot that
requires per-instance will not run successfully, and in fact would need to
happen at the end of per instance to make sure it happens on startup.
That's not the end of the world, and it's what would be required to use
cloud-init in any case.

Happy for any thoughts you might have on the above. And in any case thanks
again for the thoughtful and detailed response.