using cloud-init on a wireless Raspberry Pi

I'm trying to set up Ubuntu Server on a Raspberry Pi 3 using cloud-init.  I would like to be able to create a customized image by copying the default image to an SD card, then copying new versions of user-data and network-config over the default ones.

However, I can't seem to do this when the Pi doesn't have an ethernet connection (i.e., it's on wifi only).  The only way I've been able to get it to successfully connect to the internet is by including the wifi credentials in the network-config file.  But since this uses Netplan, it requires a reboot to finally connect.  But no additional packages the image needs are installed, since internet was not available when the image was created prior to reboot.

How can I overcome this?

-Jim
--
~ sent from my pedal-powered computer (pedalpc.com) ~

Follow ups