Re: Dynamic vendor data support in configdrive

Hi Manish,

> I wanted to know if there is any reason why dynamic vendor data is not supported for configdrive yet?
I'm not sure how this would even be possible. When using dynamic
vendor data, you query the metadata service, and at the time of query,
it then goes on to query another service to provide the dynamic vendor
to you. With the config drive, you have a local disk drive containing
your network information. Supporting dynamic data would require
querying the external service at time of filesystem read, which is not
how configdrive works.

> Is the industry moving away from configdrive?
Sorry, I can't really speak to this, but it will stay in cloud-init
for the foreseeable future.

> Is there any plan to add support for it in the future?
No, and given the answer to the first question, I'm not sure how we could.

Hope that helps!

- James