club-ubuntu team mailing list archive

WAN party! DEC2008 Also: Recap, Suggestions, Requests for Suggestions

Hey, everyone!

It's 0440EST. Insomnia is a blessing and a curse.

In this post:

ANNOUNCEMENT:	Next WAN party
RECAP:		Nov. WAN party
SUGGESTIONS:	Website, "branch"/"sister" channels
REQUESTS
?????
PROFIT! (terribly sorry, it couldn't be helped)

ANNOUNCEMENT
============

The next Global WAN Party will be held DEC19.2008 0000UTC - DEC21.2008
0000UTC[1] (tentative end time).

GAMES
- -----

DEFINITE: Urban Terror, Warsow, Sauerbraten/Cube2, Battle for Wesnoth,
OpenArena

MAYBE[2]: Nexuiz, BzFlag, Tremulous, Stendhal

NEVER AGAIN [3]: OpenLieroX

FIND OUT MORE AT:
- -----------------

irc.freenode.net
##club-games

- -check the /topic
- -ask alexbobp, bts3685, or emma if you still have any further questions

RECAP
=====

The November 2008 WAN Party seemed to be a pretty awesome experience! I
was busy working most of the time but I did watch the console for all
the time that I could and I saw some major ass-kicking going on across
the board! Way to go, guys! I hope you all had as much fun as I did, and
I wasn't even playing!

Many of the games we played have "demo" capabilities (it records all
in-game activity and you can "play" them back later); if it supported
it, I enabled it. If you would like a copy, give me a holler (this
wouldn't really be of much use except if you felt like putting together
a recap of scores, statistics, wanted to make a machinima and needed
footage of a certain cool thing that happened in-game, etc.)

If you have any suggestions on what your favourite game modes were,
which games, etc. please give me a holler! This helps me decide how to
design the gameplay sessions in the future.

SUGGESTIONS
===========

Website
- -------

It'd be really great if, per alexbobp's suggestion, we could get a list
of rules for ##club-ubuntu on the offiial site. In the meantime I can
throw up a scratch set on the launchpad but we obviously need to
deliberate on just what the rules should be.

Branch/Sister Channels
- ----------------------

To my knowledge, we have three "official" channels associated with us:

##club-ubuntu:  this is the main channel. talk about your day, the most
recent hardware failure you had that is causing you to lose sleep,
whether you like Bulletproof X, math, philosophy, etc. basic rule is
just "respect the freedoms of others and yourself"

#sparkle-ponies: this is the ##club-ubuntu ops channel. if you're
experiencing a flood attack, suspect there's a bot in the channel that's
malicious/logging/spamming/just plain annoying, need a conflict
resolution, this is the place to go. you will need to be registered with
freenode services to speak. chances are if you're banned, you'll be
re-routed here. we also get paged in there if someone does an:
!ops|reason: NICK is doing FOO
so we know what time an incident happens.

##club-lulz: alexbobp set this up for us, i believe, and i thank him for
it. this is the "spilloff channel"- dancing ASCII art, flamewars,
ridiculous conversations, unavoidable spamming, etc. should be reserved
for this channel. this has multiple benefits behind it but the most
valuable one is just simply channel real estate- it provides a nice
"load balancing" to the channels so ##c-u isn't such a nonstop scroll of
text. you can see tentative rules he has defined here:
http://club-ubuntu.pastebin.com/f6c049235

REQUESTS
========

WE NEED IDEAS FOR THE WEBSITE!

Ideas for games, mods for the games, maps, etc. for the WAN parties are
ALWAYS appreciated.

We need some ideas on what you think would make and keep ##club-ubuntu a
fun, free place to be!

FOOTNOTES
=========

[1] If you need to convert this time,
http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc   We use 24h UTC
times/notation because.. well, that's what's most widely recognized. And
we ARE global. :)

[2] "Maybe" means there either was not quite enough interest shown to
warrant me setting it up, we wouldn't have as many players as I'd like
who said they'd play, or I need to see how well it plays with a headless
server. So if a game is flagged as "Maybe", hop in ##club-games on
Freenode and give me (bts3685) a ping so I know there's interest!

[3] Not literally. These are just not server-friendly, a pain to manage,
or didn't get any players. If you feel a game shouldn't be flagged here,
again- give me a ping!

Follow ups