(PHP, Apache, Gimp, Open Office)
System tools & shared utilities
(awk, grep, etc)
Libraries
(static libs)
Shared Libraries
(DLLs)
Plugins
(PHP extensions, Apache Modules, browser plugins)
Source Code

Device Drivers

I've been thinking there is another class of packages. I'm thinking along the lines of WebApps. I'm not sure they belong in [\Program Files\<publisher>\<application>] (like Applications), since they contain files (PHP, ASPX, etc) that have a high likeliness of needing modifications-which is heavily discouraged in [\Program Files].

The typical installation if they are using IIS would be [\inetpub\wwwroot\<application>] but that makes a strong assumption that they want it in the default web root.

We could make some assumptions and go with [\inetpub\applications\<vendor>\<application>] regardless of webserver--Apache or IIS could be easily configured to pick up the app from there (regardless of virtual root or virtual app directory).

Ideas? Feedback?

And, is there a more generic case that this is part of-packages that are not really executables, but large collections of files that are used to drive a particular purpose (and aren't 'documents' either)?

Garrett Serack | Microsoft's Open Source Software Developer | Microsoft Corporation
Office:(425)706-7939                                       email/messenger: garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
blog: http://fearthecowboy.com<http://fearthecowboy.com/>                                      twitter: @fearthecowboy<http://twitter.com/fearthecowboy>

I don't make the software you use; I make the software you use better on Windows.

GIF image

Follow ups