CoApp FAQ: How does WinSxS work?

Windows Side-by-side (WinSxS) technology is a really shiny piece of technology that is not well enough understood, and often misused. This comes from a variety of reasons, one of which is the documentation-while quite excellent-only makes sense if you actually understand everything about WinSxS before hand. When I started brainstormin' how to make CoApp go, I had an inklin' that WinSxS would solve many of the most painful problems, it was just a matter of me figurin' it out. Like my pappy always used to tell me "It may not be the easy way, but it's the cowboy way." ... Well, WinSxS may not be the easy way (yet!), but it will most assuredly be the CoApp way.

Q:What exactly is Windows Side-by-side (WinSxS)?

A:I'll let the good folks from Wikipedia take a stab at that:

Side-by-side technology is a standard for executable files<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executable> in Microsoft Windows XP<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows_XP> and later versions that attempts to reduce DLL hell<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLL_hell>. Side-by-side technology is also known as WinSxS or SxS. Executables that include an SxS manifest are designated SxS assemblies.

DLL hell<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLL_hell> designates a group of problems that arise from the use of dynamic-link libraries<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic-link_library> in Microsoft Windows. Problems include version conflicts, missing DLLs, duplicate DLLs, and incorrect or missing registration. In SxS, Windows stores multiple versions of a DLL in the WinSXS subdirectory of the Windows directory, and loads them on demand. This reduces dependency problems for applications that include an SxS manifest.

Hmm. I'm not sure that cleared it all up. Simply speakin', WinSxS lets us take a DLL, give it a version number, digitally sign it, and then tell Windows to install it into a little box somewhere, and when we come lookin' for it, it'll give it to us.  Now, when we make a new version of that same DLL, we can tell Windows that when someone comes lookin' for the older one, that they should use this one instead.

Now, before some real WinSxS expert rides up and starts tellin' us that it does a wagonload better than that, I'll capitulate and say sure-it most certainly does a heck of a lot more, but we're gonna take pony steps first. This time around, I'm gonna give ya'll the easy explanation. Damn city slickers...

Q: So WinSxS stores DLL files?