From: coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Trent Nelson
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 5:26 PM
To: Daniel James
Cc: coapp-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Coapp-developers] What packages do you want to see?

Daniel,

Out of interest, why do you stipulate that you want VC9 builds?

With Python, for example, the version of Visual Studio we build with is fixed for each major version (2.x/3.x).  2.5.x uses VS2005, 2.6.x uses 2008, etc.  One of the reasons we do this is because it allows packages and libraries to all build and test against a common version (even if it's not the most recent version of VS; later 2.5.x releases of Python were still being built with VS2005, even though VS2008 had been readily available for over a year).

As a CoApp consumer (sys admin in your user story) - do you have a requirement to build with a specific version of VS, even if it differs from what a project was originally intended to be built with?

And to the CoApp developers: do we want to provide users with the ability to compile these open source projects from scratch using whatever version compiler tool chain they want?  Perhaps something analogous to FreeBSD ports, which are built from scratch using whatever compiler you want, versus FreeBSD binary packages, which are pre-built using whatever the system compiler is at the time.

I think user stories/use cases are going to become increasingly important in the coming weeks and months ;-)  I'll throw my hat into the circle and offer to be the 'user story collator', unless someone else is dying to do it.  A wiki page dedicated to user stories is a good first step, IMO.  Thoughts/objections?

                Trent.