Re: misc

On 6/28/2010 8:39 PM, Rivera, Rafael wrote:
Hi Laura,

Regarding #2: This came up during the summit and we all agreed there
would be a "portable" installation flag/command. This would allow you to
deploy an application to a custom location, like a USB flash memory.
Surprise! :)

/rafael

On 6/28/2010 7:11 PM, ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote
Second topic, was about installing software.  I remember reading on the
wiki that the installer would use the MSI format.  Not that familiar with
the format (usually prefer zip files and tarballs).  However, can't help
wondering how applications like portable apps (programs that run on
removable drives or flash drives) will fit into the picture.  Removable
drives fill a nice niche between cloud computing and having everything
local to one machine.  You can take your programs and data with you
anywhere to any Windows system and work.  If the install program ends up
tying a program to the registry or expecting it to be on a particular
drive at all times, it'll make it difficult to use the applications
provided by CoAPP as portable apps.  It would be nice if CoAPP could host
portable apps alongside regular applications that tie in to the registry
and use helpful Windows features like defaulting file extensions to a
particular program.  Has any thought about how to handle a typical
portable app (a program that's meant to be installed to a flash drive or
removeable drive) within the project?