Re: Tool to generate test EXEs and DLLs for packages

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:23:12 +0000
Garrett Serack <garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sadly, this is one of those things that I'd write in some "batch script language", but there are no good batch scripting languages on Windows. (I'm sorry... powershell just doesn't cut it.)

I haven't been able to get used to Powershell either, but there are 3 versions of bash ported to Windows available from cygwin, mingw (with msys) and djgpp (works on DOS 32 bit systems as well as Windows).  A stand-alone version of bash is downloadable from here:
http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/bash/

I've also been looking into server side JavaScript extensions and am very impressed with it.  I especially enjoyed the articles at Garrett's web site on JScript.  There are also some projects to standardize JavaScript extensions like this one:
http://wiki.commonjs.org/wiki/CommonJS
I've been experimenting with the V8CGI implementation which has a BSD license and so far, I really like it.

One other thing I thought I'd mention in case there's interest, there's a project called sta.li at www.suckless.org.  If you check the mailing list, they've been talking about writing a tool that would replace some of the gnu auto tools chain and allow for static linking instead of dynamic linking.  I remember reading at the CoApp site that there was a project in the works to try to replace some the gnu auto tools change with project files.  Don't know if any work from one project is useable for the other, but I thought the developers involved might want to know about it in case they want to investigate further and see if there's any code sharing that could be done between the projects.

Sincerley,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp