From: coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Garrett Serack
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 4:49 PM
To: Eric Schultz (wwahammy@xxxxxxxxx)
Cc: coapp-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Coapp-developers] CoApp Bootstrap

Hey Eric, (and y'all)

I'm putting the coapp-bootstrap.exe thru its last paces this afternoon. I can't see any blockers, so as soon as I've built & signed it, I'll send you a pointer to pick up the binary for inclusion into the MSI files.

You should be able to make the MSI extract the bootstrap EXE (to a temporary directory) and execute it with the full path to the MSI as a parameter. When you execute it you need do it so that the MSI process quits.  (same type of action as you see in when installers will let you "Run the program" upon completion)

The bootstrapper will look for a registry key to find out the path of the real installer, or failing that it will download and install the coapp-engine.msi from http://coapp.org/coapp-engine.msi (which I'll have in place later today) and then runs the coapp-installer.exe from the coapp-engine assembly.

The coapp-installer will open the MSI and dig out the relevant details to download & install the dependencies.  When *it* executes the MSI it will set a parameter that you can check for so that it doesn't run the bootstrapper, it just installs the components.

The http://coapp.org/coapp-engine.msi that I'm putting in place today is actually a small .NET app that lets you set the registry key to redirect to a different tool:

[cid:image001.png@01CB5694.E243BDF0]

This will let a developer set the registry key to the output path where they are compiling it to.
(HKLM\Software\CoApp\CoAppInstaller)

**************
All the test code is being signed with a coapp testing cert that I generated and stuck into coapp-solution.

Just import the CoAppTest.cer certificate into "Trusted Root Certification Authorities":

cd coapp-solution
certmgr /add coapptest.cer /s /r localMachine root

Garrett Serack | Microsoft's Open Source Software Developer | Microsoft Corporation
Office:(425)706-7939                                       email/messenger: garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
blog: http://fearthecowboy.com<http://fearthecowboy.com/>                                      twitter: @fearthecowboy<http://twitter.com/fearthecowboy>

I don't make the software you use; I make the software you use better on Windows.

PNG image

GIF image