Re: CoApp questions

An MSI file is basically a database containing tables with relationships (reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa372860), so that means handling it is more complex than a ZIP. But since the installer (msiexe) is part of the OS it seems like the most natural way to install software on Windows though, especially when the installer implements a lot of functionality (i.e. transactional install /w rollback capability, delta compression for patches, restart manager integration, etc.) which one gets basically for free when using MSIs. There are tools to convert to/from MSIs (i.e. WiX's Light.exe and Dark.exe, see http://wix.sourceforge.net/) and they are presumably included in CoApp as dependency.

In absence of an installer executable on the target box, you'd have to create an EXE. For that I have used NSIS in the past (http://nsis.sourceforge.net) and must say I've liked it, mostly because the final installers are very compact and the scripting system fit my "coder" mentality. But to quote their documentation "To create a NSIS installer, you first have to write a NSIS script." which may not be much easier than dealing with MSIs.

My 2 cents.
--Andreas