Re: CoApp questions

John,

I'm heading up mkPackage which creates the actual MSI files for CoApp
packages. I will be the first person to tell you MSI is a pain to deal with
and I can say much of it from first hand experience dealing with it. I
wouldn't want anyone to have to make MSI packages by hand which is the
reason we're creating mkPackage so developers don't have to deal with it
MSI's

MSI does have advantages though. Installations are truly transactional (they
either install properly or don't at all), they can be signed so that users
know who created the package, they have built-in support for modifying the
registry, adding and deleting users, WinSxS and GAC assemblies, automatic
uninstallation and repair scripts, they have a pretty good toolkit in Wix
for creating them and there are already tools built into Windows to handle
them.

No MSIs aren't perfect by a long shot but they do what we want, fit into the
current Windows Ecosystem and don't require us to reinvent the wheel.

Eric