The Syracuse Experiment.

As many of you know, last fall I worked with an instructor from Syracuse University to get a grad-student class to build some components for CoApp.

Unfortunately, this little experiment didn't turn out as we'd hoped.

While the class as a group did manage to build code and worked with the test packages that we gave them, the results of the project were far below what we were hoping for, and as a consequence, we're not going to adopt any of their code.

I don't view this as a failure as much as a really good learning experience-open source software is generally built by those who are passionate and have a genuine interest in producing something that they themselves would use. Or, at least getting paid to build something valuable.

In this case, 25 or so individuals from the course came together to build a project on spec, and while they worked very hard, it's clear the quality missed the mark.

I'm posting the link to the mercurial source database, if anyone is curious-I don't know what compiles in here, feel free to look, but don't get your hopes up.

I'd like to remind everyone that these people did work very hard, and while the code shows their inexperience with all aspects of the subject matter, a level of politeness and professionalism is expected of anyone commenting on the results.

Find the source here:
     https://bitbucket.org/pcpratts/coappsu

Garrett

Follow ups