compiz team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
[Bug 1038673] [NEW] Windows change workspaces when screen size or orientation changes
You have been subscribed to a public bug:
I have a Thinkpad X61 Tablet with a rotating 1400x1050 screen, though I
assume similar things happen when rotating desktop monitors with
Steps to reproduce:
- Run Unity with 3x3 workspaces, let's call them
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
- Run one maximized program (terminal, for demonstration purposes) on each workspace.
- Run "xrandr -o left" in the top left workspace.
- The nine windows stay on the workspaces they are on.
- The windows in workspaces 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 get moved to workspaces 1, 2, 4, 5, destroying the previous window arrangement.
- After running "xrandr -o normal" to reset the screen orientation the windows still keep their new workspaces.
- Rotating the screen again, this time in the bottom right workspace, moves all the windows to workspaces 2 and 3. Rotating it back moves them again, to 8 and 9.
This makes using workspaces to arrange programs spatially pretty much
unusable when you also want to rotate the screen occasionally.
Since 3x3 workspaces are not the default, here's presumably the same problem with the default 2x2 workspaces:
- Run Unity with 2x2 workspaces.
- Run one maximized terminal in each of the four workspaces.
- Run "xrandr -s 640x480" in the top left workspace's terminal.
- The four terminals stay on the four workspaces they are on.
- The four terminals are all moved to the top left workspace, destroying the previous window arrangement.
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
Package: unity 5.14.0-0ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-29.46~ppa1-generic-tuxonice 3.2.24
Uname: Linux 3.2.0-29-generic-tuxonice x86_64
Date: Sun Aug 19 15:57:06 2012
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64 (20120425)
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
** Affects: compiz (Ubuntu)
** Tags: amd64 apport-bug precise running-unity third-party-packages
Windows change workspaces when screen size or orientation changes
You received this bug notification because you are a member of compiz packagers, which is subscribed to compiz in Ubuntu.